Monday, February 18, 2008

No challenge too great

Last night I made creme brulee. Creme. Brulee. It's made of 95% fat and 5% cholesterol. It's delicious and delicate and decadent and deadly. I only make it on rare occasions, and last night we needed an excuse to call up my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to come play Settlers of Katan with us, so I whipped up some creme brulee as an excuse for them to come to our house for dessert and to play games. Creme brulee is made of four simple ingredients: cream, egg yolks, sugar, and either vanilla or chocolate. I made both varieties. To accompany the dessert, we decided to make shrimp scampi, garlic bread, spaghetti, and a healthy salad. Yeah, it was an awesome dinner. But today I was reminded of the slogan Mary came up with: "No challenge is too great for an Idaho gem." I have not seriously taken up the challenge of weight loss or paying off debt. What will it take to get my mind set on doing those two things? Like Mom said to me recently: "It seems the struggle for money never ceases, no matter how much you have." This life can be so testing, and it comes down to choice and accountability. So from now until my triathlon, I'll be choosing wisely.

8 comments:

Leo and Jill said...

Sounds delicious!!! I currently have myself on a 90 day plan. I workout six days a week and have goal to lose 2 lbs a week. I have been pretty good at only because I have found a hobby that keeps my hands busy.(instead of being busy with feeding my face) One problem-my hibby is a little expensive so I need to come up with something different. Any ideas?

PS. Michelle Christenson had a baby girl on Saturday. (I think Sat.) She weighed 6 lbs and ?oz. I guess she had a pretty hard time with labor because she was fulkly dilated but had to have a
c-section because her pelvic bone was too small to deliver. She said she is doing great and so is the baby. her name is Sarah Michelle Haggerty.

Leo and Jill said...

Sorry about my terrible typing skills. My "office" is cold and so my fingers tend to get numb when out of my sweater pocket. ;)

Morkthefied said...

Awesome going, Jill! I have typing mishaps too, because my laptop has baby spills all over it and sometimes keys stick.

Amo said...

Thanks for letting us know about Michelle. That's exciting! I met a girl at the temple cleaning assigment the other night who grew up with Michelle. Small world.

As for the creme bulee -- where is mine? I have a bag of cinnamon bears I'm willing to trade!

MarySquare said...

Cinnamon bears? Phooey, I think only Dad would make that trade. I will trade you girl scout cookies -- Samoas and Thin Mints! My order came in yesterday, woo-hoo!

MarySquare said...

Hey, can you mail me some spaghetti? That sounds good right now...

Amo said...

You already got your Girl Scout cookies order? I'm jealous -- mine has not arrived (I ordered 9 boxes -- I'm so pathetic). Those have got to help with the queezies! The one time I was pregnant to 13 weeks, I ate cookies whenever I got sick. Come to think of it, that was when I started gaining weight and it never went away! I wish I could send you something to make it go away -- how about some Idaho Spuds?

Hetlet said...

Hey Cindy you play settlers of catan? That game is so cool. I hope that we will pick it up in germany when we go. Do you have it? If anyone else hasn't played it you should because it is fun