Monday, January 28, 2008

Favorite Memories of Pres. Hinckley



I was at my sister and brother-in-law's house last night playing Settlers of Katan (great game), and my nephew Alika got a text message that President Hinckley died. Being the ball-baby that I am, I cried. I loved President Hinckley! Who didn't? I always felt better after hearing one of his talks. I will never forget when they did the Hosannah shout while dedicating the new Conference Center, and seeing President Hinckley choke up with emotion. I will miss him sorely. What are your memories and thoughts?

Quote from GBH:

"What I am suggesting is that we have had missing from our society a buoyant spirit of optimism. What I am asking is that we turn from the negativism that so permeates our culture and look for the remarkable good in the land and times in which we live; that we speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of one another's faults; that optimism replace pessimism; that uncertainty and worry be pushed aside by an enduring feeling of hope."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time even envisioning the Church without President Hinckley despite my firm testimony that I know the Church will move forward. I cried too when I heard the news and then called Mary to let her know and we cried together.

The thing that has been running through my mind repeatedly is how he always admonished us to be a little better in all things. That is what I will try to do as my own tribute to such a great and wonderful person.

MarySquare said...

Me too -- about the trying a little better. There are a lot of things in my life I can improve on, even my prayers and scripture study. So I'm starting there, with the basics. My goal is to pray at least once a day. Sadly I haven't been doing even that lately and I need to change.

Leo and Jill said...

It's hard for me to choose just one favorite because he was such a wonderful man. I personally love his fun loving attitiude but also how firm and true he was to the gospel. I loved also how he constantly reminded us to be better in all aspects of our live. I too am going to have a hard time seeing a new prophet but know with all my heart the Pres. Monson (if he is indeed the man) will pick up right where Pres. Hinckley left off and will continue to guide us to the path of salvation.

MarySquare said...

They released the details about Pres. Hinckley's funeral. You all will be able to watch it on television but they'll also be broadcasting via satellite to the Stake Center. I hope to be there.