Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mother Excuse

I'm in danger of falling back on the mother excuse. You know what it is: my kids need me today, therefore, no running and must eat McDonald's. Not only am I an emotional eater, I'm a "mother" eater and exerciser. I was talking with Kulani about this phenomenon. When you work out as a mother, if you don't do it early in the morning or during a time that doesn't impede on your mothering time, you sometimes feel guilty. Nohea is not the best sleeper, and I need to get work done in the morning, so morning runs are out. And so I take advantage of the Gold's Gym daycare. I tried running with the girls in the stroller the other night at our local rec. center, but they only lasted one mile before they broke down whining. And it seemed the nearby mental hospital patients were all at the track last night, so I didn't really want to leave them alone while I finished my run. Ugh! To make matters worse, this cold, cold air (under 20 degrees last night) is sapping my will to live, let alone my desire to exercise. So to make us "feel" better, we went out to Mexican last night. I'm afraid to step on the scale. But I will, tomorrow. Kulani and I have a date for the gym tonight, and I can't wait. Mary, good job on your good week. Can anyone relate to my "bad" week? But I did run 8 miles on Saturday, and I felt good nearly the whole time, especially since we watched some seriously dumb movies in the cardio-theater room: Stomp the Yard and Blue Surfer, or something like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree -- if I use time I otherwise would have with the kids to exercise I feel guilty. What works for me right now is working out at lunch at work. The only problem with that is the maximum amount of time I can actually exercise is 40 minutes. I try to do some other things the rest of the week, but haven't been too successful.

MarySquare said...

I too feel guilty, so during the week I only feel like I can exercise in the early morning or at night after 9pm. I rarely have time to exercise for more than 40 minutes as well which kind of stinks because don't they say you need 60 minutes of exercise 5 times a week?
Sometimes I think if I had a treadmill at home or an elliptical machine I would work out more, but I don't think that's true. For one, I have only watched 5 hours of TV/movies in the past week and 3 of those hours were (was?) watching Cinderella (several times) with Minnie.