Saturday, January 19, 2008

My check in

Hey Sisters,
I finally got around to contributing to this awesome blog. First off, kudos to the creator.
Well, lets see. Me, Wayne, and Jeff are on the team for the spudman so my goal is to be in GREAT shape for it. My motto is "If I am prepared I won't fear." It seems that the case with me and the Spudman is my intense fear of getting kicked or drowned while in the snake river. I am on the lookour for a cheap but great wettsuit and I will be in great shape so that I can beat 19 min. So far I have worked out once....for about 20 min. uh.... I am going to do better once I get my classwork under control. This is my last semester, you know, and it isn't the easiest one. In fact it could be my hardest. So what I want to eventually do is like 2 weight workouts to get my muscles toned and 3 swim workouts per week. I haven't even thought of getting my eating habits under control. well to a point. Me and Jeff have our own sort of budget. We are not as good as Mary, but I do like that envelope idea. That keeps it more visual and I can keep up with what I am spending. We each have our own personal money which I use on food and dr.peppers. My dr.pepper addiction has gone up in the recent months, but I blame that on my job. Too much stress and you just have to have some caffeine.
My one big goal this year is to build some more self confidence. I tell you what, it is way to easy for me to get down on myself. Recently me and Jeff were called to move wards (they didn't like my sleeping in sunday school all the time) and with the ward move they always ask what your talents or hobbies are. I hate when I feel like I come up short. So I don't intend this blog to be like a "help build my self-esteem", but more of like a post to ask what you guys do to keep yourself out of the dumps during winter or any other time. It just seems like I don't develop myself enough. Do you ever feel that in your life you haven't accomplished much? Now I know all of you probably haven't felt that way, because I all my sisters have accomplished so much and I really look up to all of you. You are my inspiration and my hope that someday I will turn out half as great as you.
So let's hear it for the upbeats and staying positive of what we are getting done and what we are accomplishing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hetty, I hope you know we all lack confidence on occasion regardless of what we may or may not have accomplished in life. You, however, should never lack confidence because you are probably the most beautiful person I know, in all ways. If someone were to ask me who is the perfect person, I would say you. Hetty the way you love and care for people is a talent better than any I have or may gain.

Now, regardless of what we say about you, I realize you may still feel the winter blues. The way I deal with those is to count down the days of January, try to write down things in my journal that make me happy, try to get to the gym a few times and otherwise endure. I just hate winter!! (Only 12 more days until January is over.) Also, do some things you are really good at. Host a party. Write letters to friends you know will write back and tell you how great you are. And maybe ask for a blessing. When I'm really feeling down (usually in the terrible mother department), I have asked Nate for a blessing and it has really helped. I also recently got a blessing when I was set apart for my new calling (RS teacher). I guess I really needed a pick me up because the words soothed my hard heart and helped remind me how important it is to read my scriptures regularly. Dissatisfaction and guilt creep in so easily when we distance ourselves from the Lord.

Well, these are my two cents. I'll try to think of some more things. Oh yeah, you could always come visit the people who adore you the most -- your many nieces and nephews.

We love you, Hetty!

Morkthefied said...

I hate winter. My goal is always just to survive winter. But I do have a thought about staying positive. One is, thank goodness for good family and friends. Like Amy said, writing an e-mail or calling someone can really boost my spirits. But sometimes life is just to endure it. I noticed that since I've been in my 30s, I've been able to "deal" with life better. It's like my brain has corrected itself from my youth. I'm not as emotional; I stay pretty steady; I don't cry as much over arguments with my husband--I just feel stronger emotionally. I also believe strongly in the mantra of "to find yourself, you must lose yourself in the service of others." I don't believe in today's women mantra of put yourself first. I'm not saying to put yourself last, either, but I think serving others gives me more purpose in life. And lastly, just knowing that I'm an American citizen and reflecting on the simpleness of that helps me somewhat. Can you imagine being a woman in Afganistan or the Congo or almost any other nation in the world? It causes me to be grateful in a very deep way. And just to agree with Amy, Hetty, you are a great person and I can't wait to see your continued growth and what you'll make with your life! Sometimes the simplest life has the greatest impact; just think of Grandma Christenson. Like Mom always says, in the end, the biggest impact we'll have is on our own family.

Leo and Jill said...

Dear Admirable Cousins,
I hope you don't mind if I add a comment or two every once in a while. I just want to say how inspiring you all are. You have inspired me, (along with the Biggest Loser) to get up and move more. Weight is truly a depressing challenge life especially when you feel like you have tried so hard to drop weight and just can't seem to get to your goal. Winter makes it harder when you are trying to get rid of that extra layer of "insulation." So, if I have permission, I am going to check in with you beautiful and TALENTED ladies to motivate myself into shape.
My thoughts about overcoming the winter blues....(I too love to host parties) here are several holidays/party days in the winter that are perfect for for having parties like the up and coming Super Bowl. Have a Super Party and invite just a few or more friends. Try not to get too much junk food. Grill some meat, cut veggies into cute shapes and have a football shaped bowl of grapes. (or whatever is in season) Valentine's Day is also a great holiday to have couples over and cut everything into hearts. (Including your food).
My personal favorite is to take a hot bubble bath with your spouse. Preferably when your party guests have left;) Even if your tub is too small, go for it. It is relaxing, WARM, fun and creates the mood, if you know what I mean.
I hope I didn't taint the beautiful thoughts that you all have said. I wish you all much success with the weight battle. (even though when I saw you all last, I thought ALL of you looks fabulous!!)