Thursday, January 10, 2008

Goal Race, Anyone?

You probably heard that the Spudman filled up within a half hour. Kulani and I made it in, but we almost feel guilty because we know a lot of people who are first timers never got the chance. So I was wondering if any of you would like to join me for a "goal" race? It could be a 10K or a 5K, or maybe even a half marathon. I'm not interested in doing a full marathon until the girls are older. Also, if anyone is interested, Burley hosts a half-Ironman distance in June called "the Vikingman." It 's a little over double the length of the Spudman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run), but you could break it up into teams. It's a great weekend for families, because they have a "Skandidag" festival, which celebrates Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, etc. heritage. They have waffle cones and Swedish pancakes and lots of games for kids. The race might fill up, so if you are interested, you might want to sign up now. Mary, wouldn't you love to fly home for a guiltless weekend of waffle cones, because you know you burned off the calories during the race? Ah yeah!

5 comments:

MarySquare said...

Wow, that Vikingman looks hardcore, but hey, with a companion festival in Heyburn, how can you go wrong? I'm thinking of signing up for a half-marathon in Bloomington. It is on March 5 which is 12 weeks from next week.

Morkthefied said...

We're running the Moab 1/2 marathon on March 8. We can do it!

Anonymous said...

I actually tried to get in the Spudman at about 12:15 and the website was already down. Oh well, I wasn't that upset. I asked B.J. to find me something else I could work toward, but I'm not sure the Vikingman is something I could do yet. I told Hetty I just wanted to do the Spudman before I'm 40 so I hope I can get in in 2009 or 2010.

I was thinking it would be great fun for all of us to run in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Race for the Cure in May. It's only a 5k, but it is a great event with thousands of people. I always choke up as I run when I see the names of people the runners honor on their backs. I have done it the past two years and it is a great experience. That said, I need something sooner than that so if you have any suggestions, let me know. I think something in the 5K - 10K range is the most I could do in the next few months.

By the way, anyone have a cure for a really deep blister? I can barely walk!

Morkthefied said...

Amy, you should really take a second look at the VikingMan. You could get Kathy to do the bike, or maybe Doug or Ed. Doug used to love to bike, and Ed currently does. And you could do the run. And Hetty could do the swim, or Kathy could do the swim. Seriously, you could do it!

Morkthefied said...

By the way, I'm in for the Komen race. I've always wanted to do that race. Also, Mary, good job on the new header for our site! Looks great!